Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: interesting art project Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote ap0ck Replybullet Topic: interesting art project
    Posted: 03/January/2007 at 1:19am
i think its an interesting aproach to bring awareness. especially using a tax funded recruitment tool as the medium.
linky

IP IP Logged
Jersey
Officer
Officer

Quote Jersey Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 1:38am
Tottaly agreed pock. Good find
IP IP Logged
Jbanicar
Officer
Officer

Quote Jbanicar Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 7:59am
I think those who have died in any conflict, whether it's one you agree with or not, should be respected, and not used to further personal goals. 

America's Army, as it is, is an awesome game.  The atmosphere is ultra realistic and encourages team play to the extreme, but ultimately, AA is just that: a game.  The same way SOE gives you a free 30 days hoping that you'll continue to give them money; the Army gives everyone free online play, hoping that they may encourage those already thinking about joining the army, to join.  And joining any of the branches does not necessarily mean that you will be placed in Iraq. 

I don't really see how this is art, because there is no real expression from the artist that I can see, other than the typical anti-Iraq sentiment.   He's playing a game made by someone else and typing in the names of fallen US personnel; these names should be respected and honored, not used to further his own view point.  It's just a protest, not art.

Everyone knows that America's Army is tax funded, that is why the game is free.  I don't know about you, but I like free, and the game is quite good & worth playing.  A recruitment officer is also tax funded, and his job is to recruit... there is no secrets here. 

I find it equally distasteful for politicians to try 'n' gain votes by harping on the tragedy of others, as well.   Either way, there is no easy way out of the issue at hand, and the way to really be beneficial, is not to continually bring up the same old mantra of the past, but to look for forward-looking solutions.  If I fail at doing something the first time around, it benefits me not to continue to whine and complain about my failure, but rather, if I were to learn from the experience and then proceed to fix the problem at hand, then that would be the most beneficial response.

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 9:52am
I don't see this as "art" at all. It is rather distasteful in my opinion.
IP IP Logged
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote ap0ck Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 1:26pm
jban. i find it equally distastefull how the army is using this game as a recruitment tool for kids, i mean for the most part its gonna be young impressionable people who are going to play that game, yes its fun, and thats its intent, it doesnt look at how poeple die when fightting a war, if anythin it adds more realism than physics or hit detection ever will.

and it may be distastefull, however hes doing more than the american army is doing about awareness. they would rather have it swept under the rug and forgotten. its not something that they want to advertise but in doing that , i think it opens the door for your troops to be forgetten easier.

IP IP Logged
Stairway
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Stairway Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 1:45pm
The Army isnt trying to hide deaths in Iraq "by sweeping it under the rug", they acknowledge the fallen every day. I dont see how people expect us to go to war and not have cassualties and find it shocking when x amount of troops were killed in a week.

As Jban said its unlikely that this game has actually made anyone join the army but may encourage thoughs who already are considering it. Whats wrong with the Army recruiting? We need soldiers and its not like people dont have the power of choice to enlist or not. 
IP IP Logged
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote ap0ck Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 2:50pm
unfortunatly your wrong stairway. there is confirmation that 28 percent of all visitors to the america's army site click throught to the recruitment site. now i know what your thinking (so what, there just clicking on to the site big deal doesnt mean there signing up). this line of thought is false, in 2003 19% of freshmen at the united states military academy had said they had played the game. in the 2 years following its realease enlistment quotas were met. in contrast to 1999 where recruiting numbers hit there lowest point in 30 yrs . now im not discounting 911's affect on enrolment however i think its clear that it does have an impact.
another reason why i like the project is because the makers of america's army its is "realistic" which it is not.
no matter what my opinion is theres also no doubt that video propaganda is here to stay , weather right or wrong. its also very good at what it does. but

IP IP Logged
Stairway
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Stairway Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 3:18pm
Ok so the army is getting recruits, is that a bad thing? I guess I was wrong about the game affecting that but it is a tool for the Army to gain troops, and its doing its job. But as I said earlier these recruits have the freedom of choice and the chose to enlist. 
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 5:10pm
Interesting, and does seem more like protest than art.

As for the power of AA, people who want to join the military aren't won over by it completely, and unless they are a COMPLETE MORON, know the horrors of warfare before they sign.

IF they don't, then that's an issue with the recruiter and his friends/family who helped him decide, not a video game.
IP IP Logged
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote ap0ck Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 8:28pm
i think you overestimate the intelligence of the average person tybo.

and stairway your right, it is a tool, however i dont agree how there going about recruiting. but whatever my opinion is it wont change anything.
and thats not why i made my original post, i just found it an interesting piece, and of course its up for debate/opinion on its artistic merit.
recently here in town there was a show where the artist was in a room where she was naked standing there, the art was in peoples reaction to the naked girl as they entered the room.  different no doubt, but theres still artistic merit to her "show".

IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version