Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: interesting art project Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Online Status: Offline
Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 8:35pm
I fully realize I have a completely biased opinion towards the military and the US government. I love the US military, I love our government, and I love our leaders. Do they always make the right decisions? Of course not. They are only human, but that is our system, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm very critical of those who speak ill (via verbal, written, or other forms of communication) of the US government, and especially our armed forces. But one of the main reasons myself and many others serve (whether they know it or not) is to protect the freedom of speech which us Americans hold so dear.

Do I agree with what this person is doing? No. I think it is in very poor taste. But it is his/her right to express themselves freely. As cheesy as it sounds though, the "freedom" of speech doesn't come freely, and it upsets me when people take that for granted and cr@p on the military.
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 8:39pm
probably right abou the intelligence part.

After all, what percentage of our armed forces is made up of the lower-class, poorly educated masses?

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 8:45pm
Are you seriously saying the military is comprised of mostly uneducated (ie: stupid) people? That is just completely ignorant.
IP IP Logged
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote ap0ck Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 8:52pm
no preach its not ignorant. its a fact that the majority of the military is made up from people who are from those backgrounds. often because they dont have access to the opprotunities that your classic white middle/upper class have. ie secondary education,access to higher paying jobs etc
not to say the military is a dead end job, no doubt it offers far more opprotunities than would normaly be available. however it doesnt come with out risk.

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 8:54pm
Sorry, but you are completely, and 100% incorrect. That is one of the most ignorant statements to make; that the US military is comprised of uneducated and stupid people.

Because according to your logic non Caucasians are stupid, and those non Caucasians make up the bulk of the US military. See how ignorant that is?

Please know what you are talking about before making such baseless and incorrect statements.
IP IP Logged
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote ap0ck Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 8:59pm
i disagree. please stop puttin words in my mouth. i didnt say that they were all stupid and uneducated people, or that caucasions are stupid. but for a large portion of people who dont have many other options than joining the military.

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 9:01pm
You didn't say that? Are you kidding me? Scroll up and read what you typed. I am not putting any words in your mouth.
IP IP Logged
Stairway
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Stairway Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 9:01pm
Wow Tybo you sure your not John Kerry (just kidding).
I totally agree with Preach, the armed forces is made up from people of all backgrounds. Yes there are some people from lower class who arent the most educated, but the military does have standards and they dont take just anyone. A perfect example of someone who was well off but joined the military was Pat Tillman.
IP IP Logged
ap0ck
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote ap0ck Replybullet Posted: 03/January/2007 at 9:15pm
well after some polking around your right its not accurate to say poorer poeple. lower class etc. however most recruits do not have a secondary education which i think tybo was refereing too, and i stumbled with my wording.
however it is interesting how the wealthy/american leaders whether for/against dont have children enlisted.

"This progression from participation to evasion to near total absence bodes poorly for the future defense of America in the age of terror. When leaders of the past evoked the concept of shared sacrifice, few could doubt their sincerity. Sacrifice today is shared by a dwindling pool of citizens, most of them drawn from less affluent ranks of society. How long will soldiers follow where their leaders dare not go?"

Jules Tygiel.

IP IP Logged
Jersey
Officer
Officer

Quote Jersey Replybullet Posted: 04/January/2007 at 3:31am
Im willing to bet Preach is a republican.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version