Forum Name: General Chat
Forum Discription: Talk about anything and everything
URL: http://www.1cmm.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1720
Printed Date: 04/July/2024 at 2:41am

Topic: Xbox 360 and Monitor
Posted By: Interpol
Subject: Xbox 360 and Monitor
Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 6:37pm
I know there is a wealth of information on the internet with forums, guides, etc., but I thought I'd open up another venue for answers to my question.

I don't have a television (standard or otherwise), as it broke during shipping when I moved to CA, so I thought I'd set up an Xbox 360 with my Samsung 204B 20.1" monitor. The monitor does have DVI input.

Anyway, I'm planning on purchasing a 360 with Gears of War, and was wondering if there was any way to set it up with my monitor without a tremendous amount in loss of resolution. I know there are VGA adapters out there, but won't it downgrade poorly?

The native resolution of my monitor is 1600 x 1200, and from what I know, 1360 x whatever is the highest the adapter will go.

Also, I don't use speakers, I use a headset; does the 360 have input devices for surround sound headsets?

Replies:
Posted By: Verdant Force
Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 7:19pm
im sure there is an adeptor for it somewhere... i havent looked into it much

Posted By: Bhopx
Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 9:00pm
there are DVI to HDMI adapters if you want to convert the HDMI output from the xbox to work through the DVI input on your monitor. not too sure about like composite video (the yellow cable in the yellow-red-white trio) to VGA though...probably would be harder to find. most adapters having to do with mixing PC with TV has to do with allowing you to use your TV as a computer monitor, not the other way around. even if there is such a converter it probably costs at least $80 in which case you mind as well just buy a new TV...

and if you buy the HDMI adapter for XBOX 360 and the DVI to HDMI adapter then you probably mind as well buy a TV as well, lol.

-------------

Posted By: Jbanicar
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 2:40am
I used to plug my 360 into DVI on my Gateway monitor, that is HD as well, and Ghost Recon looked fantastic, infact, better than on a hd tv, to me.  I had to run the sound into a smaller tv near by, lol... cause I don't know how to do the sound thing.

-------------

Posted By: fenix
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 4:17pm
i use the VGA adapter on my setup; i see no loss in resolution whatsoever. i just tell everyone its HD

edit: when i was looking for the VGA adapter, the only ones i found were ridiculously priced. i ended up just buying mine from hong kong for a total of 16 USD off of ebay (including shipping)

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 5:42pm
Thakns for the replies.

I remembered that my sound card (Xi-Fi Fatal1ty) has a mini amp for the front portion of the sound card where you can hook up your audio inputs. So basically, i can connect the VGA audio inputs into that, and use my headset through that.

Sweet deal.

Now to justify spending over $500 for more than just Gears of War.

Posted By: Goffin
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Interpol

Thakns for the replies.

I remembered that my sound card (Xi-Fi Fatal1ty) has a mini amp for the front portion of the sound card where you can hook up your audio inputs. So basically, i can connect the VGA audio inputs into that, and use my headset through that.

Sweet deal.

Now to justify spending over $500 for more than just Gears of War.

Word to your mother
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7479604&st=xbox&type=product&id=1126591946321 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7479604&st=xbox&type=product&id=1126591946321

-------------
Ball punching for Teh Win!

Posted By: weaver
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 6:18pm

Just buy it, I might go out and buy Gears of War tonight. Except I need an Xbox live account.

Posted By: Bhopx
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 6:56pm
im surprised they make a xbox 360 brand VGA adapter, you wouldnt think there would be much demand for an adapter like that.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 10:05pm
Thanks goff, your anti-semetic jabs are what keep me going. 

Posted By: Verdant Force
Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by weaver

Just buy it, I might go out and buy Gears of War tonight. Except I need an Xbox live account.

Hook it up to the net, and Register an account, your get a free month ;)

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Bhopx

im surprised they make a xbox 360 brand VGA adapter, you wouldnt think there would be much demand for an adapter like that.

just the opposite; in every store i went to, they said people are always asking for them, but they never have any in.

but it makes sense... i got mine because its HD quality for under 20 bucks.. sure beats the POS tv i have

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 9:58am

Word.   Get one so we can go online a rip on 13 year olds.  It almost like getting hate tells from voide with a 13 year old voice to match.    It almost has a home feel to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 11:35am
Ghost Recon for the 360 looked so sick on my HD monitor when I had that hooked up.  Thanks for the link to that cable, I was unaware that it existed.

PS

Goffin is the dude in the white gi being body slammed by myself FYI.

Although I refuse to pay 60$ for a console game... good thing that's no longer an issue.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Jbanicar

Although I refuse to pay 60$ for a console game... good thing that's no longer an issue.

So you took my advice and finally got the male dancer job at the local fire hall?  How do you cash in those bingo chips?   tell me your seekrets

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 4:38pm
Fooled the 360's DVD drive and now it accepts games burned onto dual layer dvds.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Jbanicar

Fooled the 360's DVD drive and now it accepts games burned onto dual layer dvds.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2006 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Goffin

Word.   Get one so we can go online a rip on 13 year olds.  It almost like getting hate tells from voide with a 13 year old voice to match.    It almost has a home feel to it.

I'm down.

Noticed a lot of 1CMM (and friends) have 360s, we should coordinate games together, and put some ownage down on prepubescent teens.

Date Posted: 15/November/2006 at 11:04am

Originally posted by Goffin

I'm down.

Noticed a lot of 1CMM (and friends) have 360s, we should coordinate games together, and put some ownage down on prepubescent teens.

we already posted a couple of gamertags.. should we make a thread specifically for it?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window