Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Sony PSN Hacked Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Fidelio
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Fidelio Replybullet Posted: 04/May/2011 at 3:12am
When Sony Online Entertainment announced last night that it had lost several thousand customers' credit card numbers -- though the theft came weeks earlier, during the main attack affecting Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity services -- something didn't add up. Sony Online Entertainment had just one week earlier specifically said that its customers data was safe, because "SOE's systems and databases are separate from PSN's." So, how did SOE customer information leak if the "systems and databases" were different for PSN and SOE?

"While the two systems are distinct and operated separately, given that they are both under the Sony umbrella, there is some degree of architecture that overlaps," an SOE rep told Joystiq this afternoon. Speaking to the method used for breaching the information, the rep told us, "The intrusions were similar in nature," indicating that the same party perpetrated both thefts.

SOE also insisted once more that "This is NOT a second attack," and that yesterday's announcement was a result of "new information" that was discovered on May 1 "as part of our ongoing investigation of the external intrusion in April." It is still unknown when service will return to SOE's games, but the company says "it will be as soon as we are 100% confident that we can resume a safe and secure service."
IP IP Logged
Fidelio
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Whore

Quote Fidelio Replybullet Posted: 04/May/2011 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Verdant Force

Fucking hackers.

only a matter of time before the world decides its better off without the internet.

i disagree with your assertion of responsibility.

if i stored my gold bars on a pedestal in my back garden would you expect i'd get sympathy from the police, the public, and the court if they're stolen, or would you say i didn't exercise adequate precaution to keep my valuables safe, even though the thief and not i, broke the law?

sony has yet to demonstrate they took adequate precaution to keep our valuable information safe.
IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 04/May/2011 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Fidelio

sony has yet to demonstrate they took adequate precaution to keep our valuable information safe.

Agreed.  And the constant hesitation to fully admit/acknowledge what they have done wrong.  It's this sort of arrogance that makes me hate Sony, not SOE, all of Sony. 

Being pompous while completely oblivious seems to be their corporate mantra. 

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version