Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: New Headset Suggestions Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Xenetic
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Xenetic Replybullet Topic: New Headset Suggestions
    Posted: 12/March/2011 at 9:56am
So, as a few of you know, my mic crapped out. If I cannot fix it myself today, I'll be purchasing a new one. The headset i currently have is a Sennheiser, 3.5mm jacks (No USB), which was recommended by Preach a while back. It lasted a good while, was easy on the ears, all in all a great lil headset.

I have never used a USB headset so I don't know the pros/cons of USB vs. 3.5mm, besides the digital throughput of USB. I'm not looking to spend over $60 if possible.

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 12/March/2011 at 7:45pm
I still swear by Sennheiser.

This is what I use and absolutely love it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106157

Mine has the 3.5mm jacks, but also came with a 3.5mm to usb connector.
IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 14/March/2011 at 10:10am
I have the PC161 (which is 3.5 and no USB adapter), and it has been rock f'in solid for almost 4 years.  Prior to that I had some $60 plantronics job that didn't last a year before the mic busted, the audio was also horrible forcing me to just keep it around my neck and use my "music" cans over my ears.  The Senns sound aren't critically perfect, but they're pretty damned good for game audio.

I *may* be wrong here, but I think the USB headsets actually take all of the sound processing away from your sound card/chipset.  If you're fond of your sound card, you may just want to stick to 3.5.  The setup Preach posted looks awesome, as it gives you both options.

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Xenetic
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Xenetic Replybullet Posted: 14/March/2011 at 10:56am
I just use on board sound but yeah I'm sure you are correct. USB probably uses the CPU for processing.

IP IP Logged
Goffin
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Goffin Replybullet Posted: 14/March/2011 at 12:54pm
I hate USB.  Never was a fan.     Stick with sennheiser. You definitely get what you paid for in that regard.     
Ball punching for Teh Win!

IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 14/March/2011 at 2:02pm
My recent audio woes may offer some insight too, even though there are a ton of variables between it and your current situation.  But it has left a really bad taste in my mouth about USB audio.

First things first, I hate hate hate Creative, have for quite some time.

I fired up PS on the bootcamp partition of my Macbook Pro early last week, as it is much more powerful than my desktop.  The audio was *really* wonky, the only codec that would even halfway worked made it sound like aircraft out of view were sitting right on top of me. 

So I broke down and ordered a Creative X-Fi usb sound "card" with much pain.  It was cheap and looked like an easy hot swap solution. 

Shit, pure shit.  I was able to use codecs in PS, but everything (I mean EVERYTHING) was crackling.  EQ Terms sounded like they were shorting out, tubes sounded like little tiny popcorn makers.   And there was a noticeable delay.  Being almost through a door before the sound triggered was the most obvious.  I was testing on a capped cont that was empty, with no latency and extremely good ping.

That shit is going back to the UPS store today and I'm sticking with 3.5 for good.

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Xenetic
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Xenetic Replybullet Posted: 14/March/2011 at 2:12pm
Well, though a laptop may have better specs than a desktop, it doesn't necessarily mean it will play games better, mobile parts differ from desktop parts.

I have never been satisfied with any sound card. I always end up going back to my onboard sound.

When you say Creative, do you mean their cards or have you also used their headsets? On that note, I can't make myself buy anything with "Fata-1337numbers=letters-lity" on it.

The only thing I didnt like about my Senns was that the ear cups sat on my ears. Though they were comfortable, I prever something that surrounds my ears.

IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 14/March/2011 at 3:03pm
Well yeah, but playing on an i5 with 8GB of RAM, or an old Athlon 64  single core with 2 more than makes up for the Desktop/laptop differences.  :)  I just cannot play with audio THAT bad.

I hate Creative, as a whole.  Anything and everything to do with them.  From the products, to the marketing, to their Intellectual Property stifling tactics.  This was just a small reminder of why that's the case.

I'll poke around, but I think to find a decent set of circumaural phones on a headset you're looking at more than $60.

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 14/March/2011 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Xenetic

I prever something that surrounds my ears.

Just man up nancy boy and buy the Senn PC151s.
IP IP Logged
Taliesn
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Taliesn Replybullet Posted: 08/July/2011 at 5:56pm
G930 = the fucking BOMB.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version