Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Rumor: PlanetSide Next launching in March 2011 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Fidelio
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Fidelio Replybullet Topic: Rumor: PlanetSide Next launching in March 2011
    Posted: 10/December/2010 at 12:19am

SOE President John Smedley said that the sequel to the MMO shooter Planetside will land in March 2011.

While getting the tour of the Sony Online Denver studio, I was able to snag John Smedley to chat for a few minutes on the state of the gaming industry. We talked about SOE's biggest competitor, Blizzard, and how other MMO companies react to what the WoW-maker does, as well as what can be learned from the demise of APB's Realtime Worlds. But when I asked him to confirm whether the titles that I'd been asked out to Denver to see, Magic The Gathering Tactics and DC Universe Online, were the only games in the pipeline for SOE, Smedley dropped a bomb. Not only is he heavily invested in social and casual games, but Smedley is super excited for Sony's return to the MMOFPS genre with the tentatively titled Planetside Next. Sony has hinted at a sequel with that working title before, but this is the first time that we've gotten wind of a release window.

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I took a leap of logic and asked whether it was Planetside.

"Could be," Smedley said sheepishly. "We haven't technically announced it." He then told me that I could say that he "hinted" that the new Planetside was imminent, which translates to 99% of a confirmation. "This is the farthest I've gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me."

As for why it's called Planetside Next, it appears that Smedley might have learned something from his signature franchise. "We don't have the official name for it. Planetside Next is kind of the working title," Smedley said. "We've learned some lessons with Everquest II , not one of the better moves that we've ever made. We should have called it EverQuest Something. Having Everquest I and II sit on the shelves at the same time, in hindsight, was probably not the the brightest of moves."

That's because the two fantasy MMOs are separate products which both have their own servers and audience. That will be less of a problem with Planetside, due to the small number of people still playing the 7 year old game on its one remaining server. Does Smedley think that the update will bring in more players than the first one did? Well, it's safe to say that he is excited about it.

"[Planetside Next] is the coolest god-damned game," Smedley said. "I'm so in love with that game."

source:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105953-Sony-Online-Strongly-Hints-Planetside-Sequel-Coming-This-Spring
IP IP Logged
Goffin
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Goffin Replybullet Posted: 10/December/2010 at 11:39am

"[Planetside Next] is the coolest god-damned game," Smedley said. "I'm so in love with that game."   

did anybody get a chuckle?  

wonder what engine they'll be using.
Ball punching for Teh Win!

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 10/December/2010 at 10:44pm
I'm going to be honest... I would play PS Next and give SOE my money if it gets some of the Midgets back together.
IP IP Logged
AquaNox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote AquaNox Replybullet Posted: 13/December/2010 at 1:39am
If they build it, I will come.
IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 14/December/2010 at 11:06am
Originally posted by AquaNox

If they build it, I will come.
IP IP Logged
Goffin
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Goffin Replybullet Posted: 14/December/2010 at 4:29pm
they only coming you'll be doing is in your pants..  Speaking of which,  where the hell did PoL go?   And since we're on the pol subject where the hell is Sol?  

3 months away and no alpha/beta testing?   anybody have doubts?   I pray for the day we get back together but I just don't trust it.

IP IP Logged
Midnyght
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Midnyght Replybullet Posted: 16/December/2010 at 10:06am
Well we know its been in development for 2 years, was being worked on before the survey they sent out.
We also know some of the "testing" has been done in Planetside meaning that they took new development parts and patch Planetside with it and see how it would work, such as security and so forth.

3 months away and no vidoe of any of the game play, news of the features in the game, website for the game, no beta testing or sign ups?

Sounds to good to be true but I will keep a positive outlook on it for now.
IP IP Logged
Goffin
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Goffin Replybullet Posted: 17/December/2010 at 2:52pm
http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-john-smedley-blogs-about-ps-next-2426.htm

John Smedley Blogs about PS Next  Dec 17, 2010 11:27am CST 

John Smedley has just updated his blog with some new PlanetSide details:

In other news - early next year we will have announcements about Planetside Next followed by a beta. I can say this - it's coming along awesome. I can also say that the first beta testers are going to be current Planetside subscribers. I've gotten a lot of email from current players offering to help test the game and we're going to take them up on it.
Awesome news for all the existing PlanetSide players! It also sounds like they have made some good progress on the game internally. Thanks Tigersmith for the news tip - follow the comments link to continue discussing!

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 17/December/2010 at 3:52pm
Cool, all the scrubs and hackers that have stuck around get to beta test.
IP IP Logged
akribitz
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote akribitz Replybullet Posted: 17/December/2010 at 6:21pm

this could all be a clever ploy to get everyone to subscribe again.

IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version