Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Mouse Tweaks Post Reply Post New Topic
Verdant Force
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Verdant Force Replybullet Topic: Mouse Tweaks
    Posted: 01/January/1900 at 12:00am
"10 push ups evre time you get up
IP IP Logged
Fayaz
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Quote Fayaz Replybullet Posted: 19/May/2005 at 9:05am

Posted once again, just in case any of you need a quick reference.

Befere you make this change, realize that by modifying your registry, you are also changing the mouse settings of your operating system environment, so that whatever changes you make are not only reflected in Planetside, but everywhere in Windows.

This is an inconvenience of course, unless you use a second PC for gaming, or use two mouses/a mouse that supports multiple profiles.

Start > Run > Control Panel > Mouse. Choose the Pointer Options Tab, and disable "Enhance Pointer Precision".

Start > Run.. and type "regedit". Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse folder on the left. To your right, you will now see all relevant registry keys.

The ones of interest are MouseSensitivity and MouseSpeed, as well as SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve hexidecimal values. Simply double-click on the key itself to change its value.

A good canonical setting is 10 and 2 respectively, for most pilots. 10-2 removes almost all of the "rubber-band" effect in a plane, at the expense of still being a bit sluggish. This depends on the mouse of course, all mouses have their own thresholds.

You'll have to experiment with care, making a small change, then restarting your PC, and testing it, etc. I use 14-3. Now, replace the SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve Hex values.

SmoothMouseXCurve
00,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00

SmoothMouseYCurve
66,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00
cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00
a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00

Finally, in Planetside, set Steering Auto Center Region to the absolute minimum.

If done correctly, you will notice you are holding a markedly more responsive mouse. Remember that if you accidently change your settings in PS, PS will no longer inherit the system's sensitivity.

IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 19/May/2005 at 4:52pm
Nice find.  I was looking through some of the PS .ini files today..  From the looks of things you may be able to change sensitivity settings for different scenarios..  I see the listing of joystick0-joystick3 parameters in user_options.lst.  I'm sure people have done a lot more research than my 2 hours of afternoon boredom.

You're talking about PS "inhereting" the system's sensitivity, what's the rule behind this?  PS accepts the system sensitivity as a reference then uses the in game settings to gain/retard those for in game use?  If we have already finagled with our in game mouse settings, can we still apply these reg tweaks?

My problem with the skeet is that when trying to make a slight adjustment to my aim I end up over shooting, it's almost twitchy..

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Fayaz
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Quote Fayaz Replybullet Posted: 20/May/2005 at 10:06am

Originally posted by solitary00

You're talking about PS "inhereting" the system's sensitivity, what's the rule behind this?  PS accepts the system sensitivity as a reference then uses the in game settings to gain/retard those for in game use?  If we have already finagled with our in game mouse settings, can we still apply these reg tweaks?

Precisely. All applications inherit the OS's mouse settings. What they add and how they mess it up within the application is up to them. Planetside is so inconsistent with its mouse settings; this fix only helps a bit.

Originally posted by solitary00

My problem with the skeet is that when trying to make a slight adjustment to my aim I end up over shooting, it's almost twitchy..

Aye, oversensitivity is just as bad as undersensitivity. In the former, you overshoot and spend your time compensating (known as a overdamped system) and in the latter, you can't even turn in time (underdamped). Ideally, you reach this "critically damped" state, where you're able to react and stabilize almost instantly, with little peak overshoot.

The underlying problem is the lack of proper feedback in mouse systems. In general, you move your mouse, see the change a few miliseconds later, and adjust as necessary. The feedback component is human and hence, relatively slow. The introduction of a good mouse is important here, you can minimize deterrent delays by increasing the resolution and refresh rate of the mouse.

Mouse acceleration is absolutely fantastic for desktop-based work and production, but terribly inconvenient for gaming, especially games with some degree of twitch. For example, the new MX518 boasts a resolution of 1600dpi, providing the smoothest, silkiest mouse experience available, but comes with an acceleration engine that cranks up to 15g's... disgusting.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Keep tinkering until you find the setting that's just right, and I assure you, even that will change at regular intervals.

Moreover, many many pilots fly rather erratically. They turn, stop, shoot, turn, stop, shoot, turn, stop, shoot... not only does it slow you down, you miss half your shots. The trick the is to fly smoothly, bank slowly, regurlarly, provide a constant steady stream of fire rather than a shaky sporadic splatter of rounds. If you misjudge and find yourself heading the wrong way: no worries! Take your time, assess the situation, position yourself to reacquire the target BUT do not turn too sharply or you'll overshoot again, and so on.

People often ask me why/how I use the reaver almost exclusively, especially for air to air, claiming it's sluggish and bulky. It can't turn as sharply so... don't turn as much! The cannons are imprecise and bloom significantly so... make your shots count!

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version