Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Genderplay Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 17/September/2006 at 7:55am
I personally have never used a female avatar in any game.(except Tomb Raider etc where you have no choice, big deal...)

Just didn't feel right to me, I'm a guy(YA RYLY!), and I choose to stay true to that so I go with the big burly dudes I suppose.
IP IP Logged
Stairway
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Stairway Replybullet Posted: 17/September/2006 at 1:19pm

I really dont know why I chose my NC to be a female.  I think it was partly that I thought it was a smaller target and was harder to hit (then I learned about hit boxes) but also because I had a male character for 3 years and I wanted a change.  Yeah some of the characters are maybe to "exaggerated" in certain areas but maybe thats why the put scars or rolled back eyes on some of them to make them less "perfect". 

As for girls playing games, I dont think I have ever had a problem with it.  My VS outfit leader for a long time was a female and that never  bothered me, I was maybe shocked at first but it didnt make me think she wasnt as good or anything like that.  I really dont have much to say on the matter, maybe its because I dont see how gender could affect on how well you shoot someone in a video game.

Lets see Goffins response... he has two female CR 5s
IP IP Logged
Konried

Quote Konried Replybullet Posted: 18/September/2006 at 7:20pm
Heh, didn't expect to see an honest extrapolation of this sort, while browsing through a gaming forum.  But I couldn't help but be intrigued by the topic.  I'm going to digress from the topic a bit, since it is fairly obvious that males are able to alienate their game avatars from themselves, since virtually every role in planetside can hardly be called feminine. (I guess one could argue that certain style of playing the game could be characterized as being more feminine or conservative, but that's a bit of a stretch).

I've been a male gamer for about 6 years (while Planetside appears to be the last of such games I may be committing to), and I've personally come to despise the interaction between female and male gamers.  Albeit I am not certain exactly what is the root cause of this dislike, but it probably has to do with how I perceive online gamers to be - a standard deviation below the average in terms of communicating with females, the subsequent removal of inhibition to behave (usually in a negative manner) in an online medium.  If these preconceved notions are false, even then you have a situation in which there is that one attractive girl in that sports bar syndrome, in which I have to bear witness to acts that I can easily avoid outside of a game. 

In short, female gamers are prone to causing drama in the games I have been involved.  Perhaps the idea is much more offensive to me, since I log on to play a game undisturbed from all of the worldly cares, a sort of escape from the routine aspects of life: having to make a living, studying for classes, dealing with immutable problems between family members, friends, colleagues, people of power and resigned individuals, and accepting the fact that some of these problems will never go away.  I treat gaming the same way I approach music, sports, and literature.  A departure from the norm.  By that logic, I've also come to despise having to earn money in a game, or do any character-building required by a MMORPG, in which it is possible to construct a 'fantasy world' mirroring the real world. I don't want to work in a game, I want objectives, competition, and swift interaction (in planetisde, a weapon) I suppose.  So how does all of this relate to what I was talking about earlier?  In my experience, females have made my gaming experience equivalent to going to a sports bar with only one attractive female, except worse, since there is very little in the way of inhibiting what is said. 

I've thought this is more true to the MMORPGs then planetside (since there really is too little time to converse, other than via TS/ventrillo), but it appears Isabel is still subject to the same sort of abuse from male gamers.  I can definetely think of one exception in which playing with a female gamer was quite enjoyable, and that was when I played in an outfit with a female who was married to a respected individual in the outfit.  Since she was happily married, the flirting (or rather pathetic flirting attempts) was kept at a minima over teamspeakl, and because she was content with her marriage, she never took advantage of the scarcity of supply (in this case, female) to demand (generated by males).  The result was: a drama free time, while logging on to planetside with this individual. 

My personal thoughts are that women like yourselves, Isabel, will have to wait at least one more generation to be subject to normal treatment by your gaming peers.  Already, the face of male gamers is becoming mainstream because of the popularity of games like WoW, as the portrayal of the stereotypical gamer as a social misfit living in his parent's basement, is beginning to change.  As more and more females brave the gaming barrier as it is still against the social norms, it's only inevitable.

IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 18/September/2006 at 9:47pm
*sniff sniff*

Sometimes it takes a woman.
IP IP Logged
Isabel
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Isabel Replybullet Posted: 18/September/2006 at 10:17pm
I love the responses because honestly I wasn't sure how you guys might react to the topic. Welcome Konried, not sure who you are but nice post and word use.

Drama caused by females online are inevitable, I suppose by everyone male and female alike. StarRaven for example, but then again, she never would get on TS when asked and I like to think someone like that really isn't female, but I can't be sure.

Here's a tell I got today by someone I thought to be a friend.

There's a saying that goes "You never know someone until you fight them." I suppose it holds true here. I've been on his TS, we've talked, laughed, he even wants me to go VS and join his A-S-L? outfit. But suddenly I kill him in a 1v1, agile vs agile, jackhammer vs jackhammer, and this is what happens? Had I been male would he have even sent a tell?

The topic of my sexual activity is not up for discussion in such an environment. Did I wrong him in some way that he would react to me, his "friend" like this? And who the heck is Chris? Needless to say they both found their way on my ignore list but am I really to blame for this? Is it because I'm not supposed to be able to kill him or anyone else? Should I somehow not be as skilled or capable because I have long brunette hair that constantly gets in my face and has caused several deaths, or because when I type you can hear the clicking sounds of nails clashing into the alphanumeric keyboard?

But let me not be one-sided, I've gotten the oh so famous "You're pretty good for a girl" comment. Is this supposed to be a compliment?

I like to think I can hold my own and to be honest there's only a handful of players that will make me sit up right, turn off the TV / Radio, and actually focus 100% on the game when I know they are in the vicinity.

But what used to be "Isabel has that door, you take the other one" is now "Hey Isabel, why don't you come to the CC with us and let someone else guard the door." As though suddenly it's impossible to conceive the notation that maybe this player (not male or female - but player) can be just as capable. Perhaps I'm being a bit too emtional and causing drama right here? I don't know but have you ever been pissed off because you died or died too much? We share the same feelings, just in a different context for a different reason.
Sometimes it takes a woman
IP IP Logged
Verdant Force
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Verdant Force Replybullet Posted: 18/September/2006 at 10:35pm
to be honest Isabel, i dont think anybody in 1CMM or this forum dosent care if your a guy or a girl.  Evrebody has the same potential, we are all players, nothing more nothing less.

i think the people who are sending you tells are 14 year old, who arent having any luck with women at school, and taking out their frustations online. because as evrebody knows, being an ass online has no concequence.

IP IP Logged
Konried

Quote Konried Replybullet Posted: 18/September/2006 at 11:33pm
It looks like you're being treated as a 'minority', Isabel. And there's no denying that you are precisely that in planetside.  You're just going to have to find the individuals who do not equate you to the negative stereotypes that usually accompany that minority group and ignore the rest.  I also applaud your desire to be treated as an equal, not as a good "female gamer."  It annoys me to hell, when a girl desiring equal treatment also demands to be given 'special treatment' as a lady.  It's either one or the other.

There's one thing I've noticed from MMO games, and that is, we are virtually observing a world in which, difference in appearance has been dented.  Being different is both a blessing and a curse to humanity.  We identify ourselves through them.  We strive on our recognition of differences.  Take the avatars in Planetside for example.  Other than faction-based weaponry and a relatively minor variation in character faces and voices, there are no significant differences to be observed.  However, we immediately segregate by being sensitive about our differences.  When you interact in Planetside, there's very little about our culture and history that we bring into the gunning down our enemies or collectively holding a hack on Dagda, but still there is a tremendous degree of animosity between players. 

That dislike is fueled by difference of opinion in styles, intelligence levels, and most notably, we bring our worldly constructs into the game.  The funny thing is: very few of them actually have any relavance to the game.  (except for the core themes like, loyalty, honesty, etc).  One of the most common insults in an MMO game is, I am better than you in real life.  This is usually out of frustration of not being aware of more differences to fan the hatred you are developing for the individual in the game.  There's just so much more in life that we can use as ammo that isn't there in planetside.  We don't want to be just another player in our so called online game -- some people, much more so than others.  I think the sooner you realize this, the less you will be offended by such ignorant comments.  Also, in case you haven't noticed, the guy world is so very different from a girl world. We are more crude, direct, and unmethodical on average than women.  If the players knew some other information about you that makes you a minority, they will abuse that too.
IP IP Logged
Isabel
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Isabel Replybullet Posted: 18/September/2006 at 11:34pm
Oh I know you guys don't, it's a general statement made towards a majority of gamers throughout any game. I wouldn't have applied if I thought 1CMM cared.
Sometimes it takes a woman
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 19/September/2006 at 12:19am
Lol@ASL.

The Smacktards of VS.
IP IP Logged
Interpol
Advisor
Advisor
Sentinel Wannabe

Quote Interpol Replybullet Posted: 19/September/2006 at 1:34am
Well, I personally don't think women belong in a video game environment.

They should stick to what they do best, which is cooking, cleaning, getting beaten by their significant other, etc.

Unless it's a housework simulation game, I just don't see any exceptions.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version