Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: Connecting Speakers to a laptop Post Reply Post New Topic
Veritas

Online Status: Offline
Quote Veritas Replybullet Topic: Connecting Speakers to a laptop
    Posted: 22/August/2006 at 4:49pm
I got a Dell Inspiron 1505 with just the stock graphics card.  I am interested in connecting some speakers to the laptop and don't know what my limit is to what speakers i can use (speaking as watts).  Is there other hardware that I will need to go along with the speakers to hook it up to my laptop?  Thanks, T42.
IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 22/August/2006 at 5:00pm
Headphone jacks put out very little power....  Not nearly enough to drive a decent speaker (or even a decent pair of headphones for that matter)..

Watts are not what you need to be concerned with, underpowering a speaker will fry it MUCH faster than overpowering it.

To do this, you will need some sort of amplification.  Most 2.1-5.1 computer speakers have an amp in the sub, which is why all speakers connect back to it. 

If you wanted to hook Home Speakers up to your laptop you will either need active monitors (expensive, hard to find) or a home audio amp.. 

If you're trying to run your audio through an already existing stereo setup all you need is http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102974 at the appropriate length..  The headphone plug goes into the laptop, and the RCA plugs go into one of the inputs on your amp.

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Veritas

Quote Veritas Replybullet Posted: 22/August/2006 at 6:18pm
thank you... so if i bought speakers with a subwoofer, and lets say it has an internal amp, would i still need to buy a home amp?  i'm guessing headphone jacks are the only place on a laptop to feed speakers also?
IP IP Logged
Fayaz
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Quote Fayaz Replybullet Posted: 22/August/2006 at 7:40pm
If you buy a decent speaker/subwoofer set, there is a built-in amp. Keep in mind that PC speaker systems are essentially designed for PC speaker 3.5mm input. A home amp is best suited for larger wired speakers.

For laptops, you can also get a PCMCIA sound card which will deliver far better audio than the stock built-in SigmaTel card. Just slip into one of the expansion slots. Something like the Audigy 2 ZS for notebooks can provide you with THX certified sound, EAX 4.0 HD, 3D positional audio and DTS-ES/Dolby Digital decoding. Regardless, the output will still be 3.5mm pc speaker or 3.5mm digital out.
IP IP Logged
Tybox
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote Tybox Replybullet Posted: 22/August/2006 at 8:51pm
1CMM tech team to the rescue yet again!
IP IP Logged
Bhopx
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bhopx Replybullet Posted: 22/August/2006 at 10:09pm
only get a Creative Audigy 2 ZS if you plan on getting some Creative brand speakers with it. I own an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version