Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Planetside
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : Planetside
Message Icon Topic: 3rd Person Nerfage Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Timebomb
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Timebomb Replybullet Topic: 3rd Person Nerfage
    Posted: 11/April/2006 at 5:16pm

What do you guys think about the 3rd person nerf?

I think it'll be good in some ways and aweful in others.

(The good) it will lower FPS (i heard) and then people wont be pissing about ugh this game is teh Suk, i cant play because you guys cant develope games correctly.     normaly i get around 10-15 in three way full zergs sometimes less. And will create more fairness into the game.

(the bad) well you dont have 3rd person and it will possibly uncrease whinning and people will quit (Maybe). You wont be able to Peak around corners when placing CE and and throwing nades, or get the jump on others players.

If you need to understand what the 3rd person nerf is here's the link.  http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/board/message?board.id=p sdiscussion&message.id=848999

IP IP Logged
NaeBlis
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote NaeBlis Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 5:17pm

........ "Since we saw so many players get pissed off last time at the proposed change, that I would say leave it alone completely to save the playerbase."......

We're leaning in this direction as well. We are talking about it but we're not making any changes at this time. If we move forward on changing it, you will hear from us first. So for now, go back in game and watch out for my Striker!!!!

Teh Nibblies
IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 5:28pm
FYI, I don't think this would affect FPS much, if at all..

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 5:45pm

If anything the 3rd person change would HURT your FPS/PC performance. Your computer would still have to track all players/objects around you and then determine which of those is inside your field of view and then display the correct information.

I don't think they will change it though. If they start moving forward with 3rd person changes the community will rise up again like they did before.

IP IP Logged
jakaul

Quote jakaul Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 6:07pm

Yeah, I can't see how it would help FPS to be honest.  They're talking about changing it to be consistant with line of sight, which means just a crapload of calculations.  For example, you're in a base hiding behind a box facing an open area...does it not draw anything in 3rd person because your line of sight is technically obstructed by that box, or will it just not draw things behind you?

Something that really worries me is like this:  Ever been in a red alert base (like an interlink lobby) where you run in and see it kind of empty, then all of a sudden, the game draws all 100 people in the area?  I've literally shot 5 VS in the back because an NC ran up the stairs and I started shooting...then all the VS that were in the lobby to begin with suddenly appeared right in front of me (reminded me of how people in a tower with an AMS next to the stairs are cloaked and don't come immediately back to being drawn).  What happens if there's a bit of latency with the code they put in...will there be lag associated with flicking to 1st person if a person didn't show up in 3rd?

IP IP Logged
Timebomb
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Timebomb Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 6:20pm
Dont know about The last part Jakaul, but they said that Fps would increase since it only registers what you see, They said it on the link some where.
IP IP Logged
Preach
Admin Group
Admin Group
American Hero

Quote Preach Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 6:28pm
Well I dont believe a word the devs say when it comes to FPS performance. With the changes they are proposing it would only increase the amount of calculations your machine would have to make, and then render. They just can't come right out and say that though.
IP IP Logged
jakaul

Quote jakaul Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by Timebomb

Dont know about The last part Jakaul, but they said that Fps would increase since it only registers what you see, They said it on the link some where.

Well, it all boils down to the amount of processing done on your computer, of course, but I'm really not sure how they could definitely come out and say there'd be an increase without testing it on a large scale.  I'm a developer professionally (though not with games) and I can tell you for sure that until you actually test stuff on the real system, you can guess and approximate as much as you want to...how it behaves in reality might be far different.  The other component of this is WHERE the visibility calculations get done, it's possible drawing the picture might have other little gotchas depending on how your computer gets informed on updates to display, etc.  I just can't see how they could possibly give a reliable answer to how it would affect fps...

IP IP Logged
solitary00
Forum Whore
Forum Whore

Quote solitary00 Replybullet Posted: 11/April/2006 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by jakaul

Yeah, I can't see how it would help FPS to be honest.  They're talking about changing it to be consistant with line of sight, which means just a crapload of calculations.  For example, you're in a base hiding behind a box facing an open area...does it not draw anything in 3rd person because your line of sight is technically obstructed by that box, or will it just not draw things behind you?

Something that really worries me is like this:  Ever been in a red alert base (like an interlink lobby) where you run in and see it kind of empty, then all of a sudden, the game draws all 100 people in the area?  I've literally shot 5 VS in the back because an NC ran up the stairs and I started shooting...then all the VS that were in the lobby to begin with suddenly appeared right in front of me (reminded me of how people in a tower with an AMS next to the stairs are cloaked and don't come immediately back to being drawn).  What happens if there's a bit of latency with the code they put in...will there be lag associated with flicking to 1st person if a person didn't show up in 3rd?

From what I read, if your view is obstructed, you cannot see those people in third person either...

I can see it now..  Powersliding around a tree/mountain peak and being completely invisible for a certain amount of time until the other client catches up. 

BRILLIANT!

-bullet buffer-
IP IP Logged
dr0ss
Groupie
Groupie

Quote dr0ss Replybullet Posted: 15/April/2006 at 2:11am
i think it would seriusly put the nc at a dis-advantage, caues the jh is only effective up close...
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version