Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Chat
 1CMM Forums : Public Forums : General Chat
Message Icon Topic: buyxg.com Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
LaptiNek
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote LaptiNek Replybullet Posted: 05/September/2006 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Preach

Do you do anything that would need SLI? I think SLI is overkill IMHO.

But my epeen is bigger with SLI .... right?
Baron Sengir, Ahriman Corps
IP IP Logged
Interpol
Advisor
Advisor
Sentinel Wannabe

Quote Interpol Replybullet Posted: 05/September/2006 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by LaptiNek

Mad,

Yes! Please keep us informed.  I got charged too much on my property taxes and got a NICE refund from the old gov'mt.  I've been looking at system builders daily (built the last 2 myself).  I definitely want to upgrade to a core2 duo system with SLI potential.

For the guru's out there ...do you think it's a good move to save a few hundred $$'s and get x1 7950 GTX instead of x2 7900 GTX in SLI mode?
Okay, forget anything in this current generation, unless you can't wait 2-3 months for the next generation of graphics cards to come out (DX10).

Seriously, for 800, you'll likely be able to get two cards in SLI configuration that would absolutely kill two 5900GTXs.

In mid September, ATI is releasing the 1950XTX Crossfire. You can get two for about 900 and they will destroy any machine running Quad SLI. Not only that, but ATI is known for having much better visual quality with their cards.

For best future-proofing and price/performance (within the current generation of cards), it's best to get dual 7900GTs, which best the 7950GX2 on most benchmarks by the majority of reputable review sites. And it's only $100 more.

Just wait.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. 2x 5900GTX is about $300-400 more than 1x 7950GX2. So you're not saving money by going for the SLI.
IP IP Logged
LaptiNek
Groupie
Groupie

Quote LaptiNek Replybullet Posted: 05/September/2006 at 1:50pm
What I originally meant was,

It is cheaper to go with x1 7950 GTX than x2 7900 GTX in SLI.  I was just wondering if the 7950 was worth it since it has dual graphics cores (e.g. sure it's cheaper but does it suck?)

I'm not so sure with ATI.  I've always heard how ATI's driver support is pretty crappy and a lot of friends of mine have had catalyst issues.

Any news releases on DX10 stuff?
IP IP Logged
Interpol
Advisor
Advisor
Sentinel Wannabe

Quote Interpol Replybullet Posted: 05/September/2006 at 4:09pm

Hey, sorry about misreading your first statement.

If you're going ahead with the Core 2 Duo, you want to probably get an Nvidia card (again, for future-proofing) since ATI was bought by AMD, and likely any cards released in the future will soley be for that platform. However, if you're not going with a new processor and motherboard, I'd really look into the 1950XTX (as the single card demolishes the 5900GTX).

As for the DirectX 10 cards, the Nvidia "G80" and ATI "R600" architectures should be released before the end of the year. I'd assume we get concrete information on them by the end of the month or so. Keep in mind, you won't be able to use the new DirectX 10 technologies until Vista is released--if it ever f**king is.

Again, I've read of compatibility issues regarding the 7950 GX2 card*. I think it'd be best to stay away from it.

*The issues result from the Motherboard or BIOS. With Quad SLI (which I know you're not in the market for, but just to keep in mind, there have been known compatibility issues with games).
IP IP Logged
LaptiNek
Groupie
Groupie

Quote LaptiNek Replybullet Posted: 05/September/2006 at 4:11pm
Hmmm,

So maybe the best bet is to get one 7900 GTX card ...I can get another and go in SLI mode in the future if need be ..or, replace that card with a DX10 card sometime next year.

Thanks for the comments Interpol
IP IP Logged
Interpol
Advisor
Advisor
Sentinel Wannabe

Quote Interpol Replybullet Posted: 05/September/2006 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by LaptiNek

Hmmm,

So maybe the best bet is to get one 7900 GTX card ...I can get another and go in SLI mode in the future if need be ..or, replace that card with a DX10 card sometime next year.

Thanks for the comments Interpol

Sure. But I feel bad because you're paying more for a card that's not the top performer in that price range .

Still a very solid card, though.

By the way, you respond way too f**king fast.
IP IP Logged
LaptiNek
Groupie
Groupie

Quote LaptiNek Replybullet Posted: 05/September/2006 at 4:30pm
hee hee ... @ work  and not feeling like much work :p
IP IP Logged
LaptiNek
Groupie
Groupie

Quote LaptiNek Replybullet Posted: 12/September/2006 at 12:09pm
Mad,

Well ...how is it?
IP IP Logged
Fidelio
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Whore

Quote Fidelio Replybullet Posted: 12/September/2006 at 5:44pm
the 7950 GX2 is faster than any other single card setup, but not as fast as two 7900 gtx's.

whatever you buy make sure it's 100% dx10 compatible and even if it says it is, i wouldn't spend more than $300 tops just in case todays 'compatibility' isn't as 'compatible' as the cards that come out when dx10 actually ships. anything can change, except the money you've already spent. know what i mean?
IP IP Logged
MadDawg
Officer
Officer

Quote MadDawg Replybullet Posted: 13/September/2006 at 6:46pm
Computer ships today or tomorrow, Should be here mid next week.  I'll keep ya all posted.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version